Fendi’s new colosseum inspired headquarters
By Kenneth Richard | The Impressionist
The house of Fendi has a new home in the recently renovated headquarters know as the Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana.
The monumental travertine structure, whose name loosely translates to “Great House of Italian Civilization,” comes with a storied past as it was built in 1943 by WWII Fascist Italian dictator Benito Mussolini. Designed for a world’s fair that was subsequently cancelled due to WWII, the building sat vacant for seven decades before a recent 18 month renovation.
The Palazzo will house 450 employees and a free art exhibition on the ground floor. And the opening is well timed to commensurate Fendi’s 90th anniversary this year, as well as Karl Lagerfeld’s 50th year as its Creative Director.
With all those years together it is indeed a great house of Italian civilization.